Kolena Thomas, Owner & Lead Planner
With over a decade of experience in wedding and event planning, I have personally executed a wide range of events in varying design aesthetics, logistical complexity, and price points. I have managed a spectrum of different styles of events from uptown black-tie affairs to a casual beachside elopements. I pride myself on thinking outside of the box to create a one-of-a-kind experience.
My background is in business management, event management, communications, & marketing. Throughout my career, I have worked in various capacities from being a Catering Director for a large private club to implementing security and disaster plans for a large corporate brand. Design, logistics, and event planning have always been my strongest attributes and what inevitably led me to open my own brand creating flawless events for couples in love in the Washington, DC region.
On-site at events, I can best be described as calm, in charge, and working with grace under pressure. I will seamlessly orchestrate all of the moments that will become your most cherished memories while simultaneously fading into the background.
Blue Sapphire Events is top rated in the DC area and was awarded the Couple's Choice award by WeddingWire in 2020. Our work has also been featured in various publications including: United with Love, Virginia Bride, Washingtonian Weddings, and Hill City Bride.
Top 5 Favorite Things
1) Running! I love to get lost in my music and jog my stress away.
2) Reading! I typically read one book a week. My favorite genre is historical fiction.
3) Dogs! We will hopefully be adding a new family member soon!
4) Tacos & Margaritas.
5) Garden Roses.
FAVORITE WeDDING STYLE
Honestly, I do not have a favorite "wedding style." I love blending the couple's personalities together and creating an event that is uniquely them. A well thought out detail that guests will say "Oh my gosh, this is so them!" is my number one goal.
Top 5 Favorite Movies
1) Pride & Prejudice
2) The Notebook
3) Mean Girls
4) The Intern (this movie oddly makes me cry every time. I think it's because Robert DeNiro reminds me of my father).
5) Sweet Home Alabama
Favorite Trips I've taken
1) Italy. In 2019, my fiancé and I traveled all throughout Italy. We started in Todi, Italy. Then traveled on to Lake Garda, the Dolomites, and ended in Venice.
2) Sonoma & Napa, California. Carl proposed on this trip at Gundlach Bundschu Winery!
3) England. In 2018, we traveled all throughout England starting in London and traveling up to the Lake District.
It's all in the name.
"Blue Sapphire Events" is inspired by my own love story and the one of a kind blue sapphire engagement ring I received from the love of my life.
Blue Sapphire Events is a full service wedding planning and design company located in Arlington, VA. We serve all of the Washington, DC metropolitan area, Northern Virginia, Central Virginia, and the Eastern Shore of Maryland.